Monday, July 16, 2007

Regarding Autonomy and Freedom

As a Teaching Assistant at the Graduate Theological Union, I come in contact with a variety of students from a cavalcade of religious traditions: UCC, Disciples, Buddhist, Sufi, Presbyterian, Baptist, UU, Lutheran, Jesuit, Franciscan, Methodist, Pentecostal, Hindu, Wicca, the list could go on and on. We are a consortium of different seminaries and schools, so our religious net is cast quite wide. Each week I teach students about the role of arts or dance or worship and how they intersect with religion. And each week I have the pleasure of hearing about arts, dance, and worship from a vast array of perspectives. Yet, even as each student is grateful for his or her religious tradition, we also have our own complaints.

In any given class, I may hear a student say, “Ordination is such a long process and I feel as though I can’t express what I really believe for fear that my committee/bishop/elder will not agree.” “I cannot be ordained in my tradition because I am a woman and women can’t be priests.” “My denomination would never ordain me because I am gay.” “I don’t have a definitive ‘call’ to a local church, so ordination is out of the question.”

And each week, while I sympathize with my different students, my inner response is the same. In my mind and heart, I think, “and that’s precisely why I am a Baptist.” The irony is that you could hear these exact same complaints uttered from the mouth of a Baptist, as well. Baptists, like the GTU, cast a rather wide religious net. What one Baptist church deems holy, another regards as profane. One Baptist’s soap box is another Baptist’s fear.

Embedded in our core Baptist principles are the distinctive qualities of local church autonomy and liberty of conscience. Therefore, there is NO convention, or priest, or elder, or creed that can dictate what an individual church or person may believe. Sure, we acknowledge that scripture is central to our faith…but we each interpret scripture quite differently. Each Baptist church is different, but I am fairly certain that none of the former complaints would be uttered by an individual seeking ordination at the church where I serve as Associate Pastor of Arts and Education. At Shell Ridge, we are uniquely and distinctly Baptist, affiliated with American Baptists and active in the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists, the Alliance of Baptists, and the Baptist Peace Fellowship. We are Baptists…and so are many other churches which disagree with most of the issues upon which we stand.

Yet, amidst these soapboxes, complaints, commonalities, and differences, through the New Baptist Covenant, Baptist churches are meeting and praying and hoping that somehow, no matter our interpretations of scripture or political views, that we can stand in one accord to agree that poverty, justice, war, and racism are moral issues.

I, like the students at the GTU, have my fair share of complaints about my religious tradition, but it is because of liberty of conscience and local church autonomy that you will always hear me say proudly, “Now THAT’S why I’m a Baptist!” In the tradition I claim as my own, and in the tradition where I am ordained, I have a choice and I choose Baptist...freedom...and justice.

12 comments:

Big Daddy Weave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

Al---
I have no idea who you are, but though Weave is my friend, we are not, indeed, the same person. I'm not sure if you've noticed that Weave's photo and my photo look quite different. I live in Berkeley and he lives in Waco. He is a man and I am a woman. We have different writing styles. I was his youth minister when I was merely 18 and he was singing in the youth choir tours. We are two distinctly separate people, not one person with split personalities.
And, I will not speak for Weave, but I do not have a problem with Julie supported planned parenthood. Perhaps if more people planned their parenthood, children would have less problems. Why so antagonistic, fellow Baptist?

Big Daddy Weave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The Covenant is pro-abortion, and anti-family. They are in bed with Planned Parenthood. Oh, yeah! That's going to bring many people to faith...
Hello, people!
The ABC-USA is losing thousand of members. The CBF is downsizing. Your culture of death does not sell!
Bob Weldon

Big Daddy Weave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

Can we keep the sparring off my page? Just because someone is pro choice does not mean they are pro death. It's an issue of semantics as the nomenclature is ambiguous. And, seeing as how you are a man and cannot have an abortion anyway, I don't see how it's your decision to make.

Anonymous said...

Luke 1:41
When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.

"Baby" that's "pedos" in Greek. You are pro-aborting babies, you are pro-death.
Semantics? My foot!

Angela said...

The fact that I disagree with you does not mean that I am ill prepared. The next time I'm speaking with a woman who was raped or addicted to crack or is going to give birth to a baby that will be neglected and abused, I'll be sure to send her your way so you can take care of that baby. I am pro life in that I think all persons should have the ability to live fully, which entails living with adequate housing, health care, and in a loving environment. Perhaps we have bigger fish to fry. I am very well aware of scripture, but I do my best not to use it for proof texting. Clearly we disagree, but I don't think you need to blame the Universities where I studied for my belief systems or ideologies; I am a free thinking individual, not some clone of an institution. So, if you disagree with me, that is fine. But leave the disagreement with me as an individual (freedom of conscience, after all) don't blame it on any of my schools. I'm at the GTU in Berkeley and finished at Mercer and I really doubt GTU would care too much if you dub them as crazy liberals.

Angela said...

Wow! (I'm a different Angela, by the way...) I was just going to comment and say how nice it is to have someone proud to be a Baptist and enjoying the individual freedoms that provides. I had no idea that clicking on "comments" would land me in the middle of a food fight ... but I guess it is also the perfect demonstration of the fact that our heritage of Baptist freedoms leads us to have very different opinions, and gives us the right to defend those according to the dictates of our conscience, rather than kowtowing to "authorities" and toeing the party line.

Michael Ruffin said...

Angela,

A suggestion, if I might: you might consider enabling comment moderation on your blog. Then, you could reject some of this silliness without it reaching your blog.

Blessings to you!

Unknown said...

It's so cool to get to take a peek at your well-articulated thoughts... I appreciate very much what you have to say, and being in an ecumenical environment myself, I identify a great deal.

It does my soul good to see a like-minded baptist putting herself out there in the blogosphere. I'm glad you have elicited comments from a diverse group-- seems to be what this business is supposed to be all about-- but I'm also sad that it hasn't been all pleasant.
I guess we can't deny being controversial, huh?

Keep it up! Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Angela,
See this:
http://www.abpnews.com/2675.article
How do you feel about gays being excluded from the Covenant?
Leslie G.

 
eXTReMe Tracker